COAL OIL


Paul "Pork" was the official wood chopper when growing up.

When I was about 12 years old, I was up on the hill above the house (at our house in the hills) chopping down a hickory tree about 4 inchs in diameter, The axe glanced off and went between my little toe (I was barefooted) and the next one laying it wide open. I probably set a new record for the hundred yard dash down the hill side, cleared a rail fence that I had never been able to jump before. arriving at the back door screaming like a banshee. Mother came out the door with the wash pan and the coal oil can. She washed it, poured coal oil on it, wrapped it up with a rag and went back into the house.

You think that is a wrinkle on my face above my mouth, nope, fell off the porch at Raymonds on an axe that dad had propped there when I was just learning to crawl. Can't remember what she did then (Uncle Paul)

No comments:

Post a Comment